top of page
  • Writer's pictureHSD Finance

What do you need to know about the government’s first home buyer grant?

The Australian government have recognized that first home buyers often have a difficult time breaking into the housing market. The First Home Owner Grant was implemented in 2016 to help out first home buyers.

Eligible potential homeowners can currently receive a grant of $10 000 in New South Wales towards the purchase of a new home. To be eligible for this grant at least one home buyer must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Photo by Suzy Hazelwood from Pexels

The First Home Owner Grant can only be used on a newly constructed property (a property that has not been lived in by anyone) up to the value of $600 000. You can also receive the grant when you build a new home and the value of the home you build and land you purchase does not exceed $750 000. You may also be eligible for the grant if you are buying an older house that has been significantly renovated and you are the first person to live in the newly renovated house.

The New South Wales government website defines substantially renovated as “most or all of the house (was) removed or replaced”. The First Home Owner Grant cannot be used towards a property that has previously been lived in.

Photo by Gustavo Fring from Pexels


To be eligible for the First Home Owner Grant you must also reside at the house. The government requires you to move into the house within 12 months of purchasing it, and to live there for a minimum of 6 months. If multiple people are purchasing the property together, at least one of those people must live there. If you are using the grant towards the construction of a new home, you will have 12 months from the end of construction to move in.

This is a one-time grant that you are only able to receive if you have not received a grant in the past under the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000. This rule applies to grants previously received in any state or territory. You are also ineligible if you have previously owned a residential property, even if you did not receive a grant towards it.

Assistance Scheme

There is also a First Home Buyer Assistance Scheme available for first home buyers that allows you to get a concession on stamp duty/transfer duty, or even pay no stamp duty at all. Unlike the $10 000 grant, you are still able to apply for this if you buy an existing home.

If you think you qualify for the First Home Owner Grant you can apply for it by lodging an application with the NSW Office of State Revenue. The application can be lodged with the help of a solicitor or conveyancer. You must be registered on the property title before you can lodge your application. You can book a free appointment today with HSD Finance to talk more with us about what is available to you when buying your first home.

About HSD Finance

HSD Finance is a full-service mortgage broker based in Sydney and serving Australia wide, we are here to assist with customers in all financial needs. If you would like to know more about how HSD Finance can support you, please get in touch with the support team on 1300 311 123 or

Opinion Disclaimer

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are solely the views of the original author and other contributors or sources. These opinions and views do not necessarily represent those of HSD Finance, and/or any/all contributors to the site.

18 views0 comments

Related Posts

See All


bottom of page